Bank robber facing murder charges in ETX | News
SMITH COUNTY, TX (KLTV)- A Smith County man serving time for robbing banks is back in East Texas to face a murder charge.
Shams Masters, 34, is back in Smith County, charged with murder with the intent to cause death.
Investigators believe Masters killed 19-year-old William Young on February, 2, 1999.
Young had been shot to death. His body was discovered by an area resident near a cul-de-sac.
Authorities did not have enough evidence to put him away, and the case went cold.
In recent years, new witnesses came forward, allowing officials to formally charge Masters in the murder.
Jury selection is scheduled to begin in September.
Copyright 2012 KLTV. All rights reserved.
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- UT Health Northeast microbiologist honored for her excellence by national society
- Bill could eliminate toll road fees for some veterans
- East Texas helps: How to send aid to Oklahoma tornado survivors
- Hundreds of employees affected by ETX mail processing center closure
- Experts: West Nile virus may make a comeback in East Texas